Moocher - Costume Guide
As Seen in Breaking Away
Rock the late 70's track racing style of Breaking Away's Moocher, one of the four members of Bloomington, Indiana's famed Cutters bike gang.
- First, you need a properly outfitted red racing helmet. We found ours at a local Army Navy surplus store. Use paint or tape to dial in the detailing.
- Next, you need the shirt. We just happen to have the Cutters shirt, made to spec, right down to the racing number 34 on the back.
- Then you'll need some burgundy short shorts. Or jorts, which are are equally acceptable. The shorter, the more authentic and keeping with the period.
- You'll also need some long hair. Our model graciously wore a wig, which we purchased for about $10.
- And finally, a pair of ratty Converse or similar classic trainers; pair with tube socks, vintage or otherwise, and you're good to go!
- This year, race through Halloween on a group ride! Pull together three of your friends and form a Cutters team - Dave, Moocher, Mike, and Cyril - for Halloween!